Thursday, April 17, 2014

Forty!

"For forty years I led you..." 
Deuteronomy 29:5a NLT

During my cancer journey I had my big fortieth birthday. I know quite a few people that have had a hard time with this particular birthday. My father-in-law was diagnosed with diabetes around his fortieth. I know others that have had their marriages end, endured a mid-life crisis, or faced other major, life-changing events.

Honestly, I wasn't approaching the big 4-0 with much enthusiasm anyway, and then I got cancer and had to have chemo right before my birthday. Really?! So then, to top it all off, I was bald on my birthday! It could only get better, right? 

Now, five months later, I find myself thinking, "I just want to get my life back. I want to look and feel good." But it's not that simple. It's hard to accept that everything has changed.

Then, I started thinking about Jesus and His journey. I realized that He never got his life back. When He stepped out of heaven to join us on earth, His life changed forever. Once here, He gave it all. He never even celebrated his fortieth birthday. But His sacrifice and resurrection brought about a new normal that was all about new life. When He stepped out of the tomb, things again changed forever ... forever for the better. He made a way for all those He loved to spend eternity with Him. He completed His journey of identifying with us in all our pain and sorrow, so that we could know He truly understands what we are going through and He knows how to triumph over it. "In this world, you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world," John 16:33b.

Surgery. Chemo. These things are their own death and resurrection. Through a process of death, new life comes to my body. They have brought me into a new normal, but it can be a "forever better" normal. If we come through any trial walking hand-in-hand with Jesus, He will bring us out the other side into new life. That's what He does!

As we approach Easter, I want to remember that this life is not my own, just as Jesus' life was not His own, but He gave His life for the salvation of many. He has led me this far and He died so that I could live! By His stripes, I am healed.
This is all good news!

My prayer for you, is that you would pause for a moment--in the midst of whatever you are going through--and realize what Jesus went through so that you don't have to do this life alone. He loves you so very much.

He is with us! Happy Easter. Happy Resurrection Day!

By: Beki Beane
And Erica Faraone

No comments:

Post a Comment

Traditions - Change?