Friday, January 3, 2014

Oh Where Is My Hairbrush?!

"Keep your eyes on Jesus, who both began and finished this race we’re in." Hebrews 12:2a MSG

I finished chemo today -- yes! The next step is one final surgery and I'm done!

My hair will begin to grow ... Although there's been a couple times that having no hair made me laugh. Like the other day when my co-worker offered to take care of some boxes of past years' data to "get them out of my hair." (But I have no hair--ha, ha! I think these things are funny.) Then, my daughter asked me if I had a brush in my purse... now why would I have that right now? More inside laughter! I find myself singing the Veggie Tales song, "Oh Where is My Hairbrush?"

But it will be nice for the process of restoration to begin. My hair will grow back, my scars will start to heal and the toxins will slowly leave my body.

I've had a few people ask, "What's next?" regarding scans, blood work, etc. I'm in a different place than some who have been on this journey. Because the cancer was caught early, because both were small tumors, and also because the cancer found in one of four lymph nodes was minuscule, I will not be eligible for scans. They will check my blood work on occasion, but there is no lab work for cancer. The blood draws will be mainly to check my other levels which may have been affected by chemo.

After my next and last surgery, my plan is to get fit and healthy so that I can run a 5k with a friend and also do the survivor walk for the cancer relay this year!

I was so excited to have my last chemo, but part of me wonders how well it worked, and I hope and pray that this preventative action of chemo treatments killed any and all bad cells that may have been wandering around my body. 

But I know that...

"My hope is in the name of the Lord
Where my help comes from
You're my strength, my song
My trust is in the name of the Lord
I will sing Your praise, You are faithful"

"My Hope" by Hillsong

So this is what I have ... a BIG God! Plus, faith, hope and freedom in the fact that I know He is right beside me, holding my hand during this journey and the ones to come! In faith, I believe that there is no cancer in my body and I will leave it at that. I will follow through with my treatment plan and doctors appointments and go from there.

My prayer for you as you go from one journey to another, is that you would run your race with your eyes on Jesus and that your heart and mind would be filled with hope! He will give you the strength you need for whatever journey you are facing. He is faithful!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Traditions - Change?