Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Survival Is Not For The Weak

Survivor: A person who continues to function or prosper in spite of opposition, hardships or setbacks.


"Continues to function" this pretty much sums it all up! This July will be four years since I was diagnosed with breast cancer.

I have been through surgeries, chemo and countless doctors appointments. 


Surviving comes with a lot of mixed emotions that no one prepares you for. 

I am beyond grateful that God has allowed me another day. I have met so many people that have walked this road and are in varying stages of diagnosis, decisions, fighting or surviving cancer (or other diseases). I also have had survivors guilt. Although grateful that I am cancer free I have seen others continue to battle on as their cancer has metastasized. Some are single moms, some still have young kids at home or both. Some are young children with parents having to make choices no parent should have to make for the health, and life of their child. Others have regular scans and daily chemo regimens they are have to partake in. 


I have held my head high, and stayed confident in my God. I have had some great triumphs, been tired beyond belief and had some set backs. One of the things that I have to do to survive is take a monthly chemo shot that reduces the amount of estrogen my body produces to lower the chances of reoccurrence of cancer in my body. It has caused many sleepless nights, neuropathy in my hands and a few other side effects to boot.   


In just a few weeks I will have a (TAH-BSO) total abdominal hysterectomy with bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy. This surgery will reduce the amount of estrogen that my body produces and then I will not have to take the monthly chemo shot. 


I have really tried to keep forward momentum, make better health choices, loose weight, and embrace my hair cowlicks with a fun hair style! I've learned to rest and take care of myself. I also get frustrated that I don't have the energy to do more and plan naps along with having fun.


In my moments of not being able to sleep I get lost in thought and realize that God knew all of these things and has big plans for my life!


“The Spirit of God made me what I am, the breath of God Almighty gave me life!”

Job 33:4


"You gave me life itself, and incredible love. You watched and guarded every breath I took.” Job 10:8-12 


My prayer for you is that if you are healthy, sick, injured, lonely, sad, surviving, fighting or just hanging on that you would see what God has for you in the season you are in. How you navigate what you are going through can put your faith into action. God is with you every step of the way. 


“Don’t panic. I’m with you. There’s no need to fear for I’m your God. I’ll give you strength. I’ll help you. I’ll hold you steady, keep a firm grip on you.” Isaiah 41:10



No comments:

Post a Comment

Traditions - Change?