Saturday, December 14, 2013

Blessed Assurance

"For we live by believing and not by seeing." 2 Corinthians 5:7 NLT

"Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see." Hebrews 11:1 NLT

This reminds me of a hymn we used to sing in church.
Written by: Fanny Crosby in 1873

"Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine;
Oh, what a foretaste of glory divine!
Heir of salvation, purchase of God,
Born of His Spirit, washed in His blood.
This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior all the day long.
This is my story, this is my song,
 Praising my Savior all the day long."

This is honestly the only thing we actually have. I had cancer in both breasts, and in one of four lymph nodes on the left side. I believe the cancer is all gone and the primary reason I am doing chemo is for re-assurance that if I had any other cancer in any other cells this chemo regimen I'm on will take care of it.

I went to my pre-chemo checkup and I asked the nurse practitioner if I would need any scans or blood tests to see if I had any other cancer or if I was cancer free. The good news is that my cancer was caught early, the bad news is that I don't qualify for scans. And blood tests would only reveal blood counts that may or may not be indications that something is wrong. I looked at her and said, "You are not giving me any warm fuzzies."

I can't see inside my body and I can't see what lies ahead nor can I see God. But I have faith. I've seen God at work, seen marriages restored, seen the sick healed, and I've seen youth come to the Lord. I believe, I have confidence, and assurance in the One who knows me, my story, and my body better than anyone.

My prayer for you, is as you walk through life that you would learn to dig deep. Get past your past; look in those dark spots and see where God was there and has been there all along. People remark about how strong and brave I've been. Well, I myself have had to dig deep, face things and make decisions. I've had some anxiety prior to surgery, but I've never been fearful because He is faithful!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Traditions - Change?